Some of you are battling uncomfortable coughs at the moment, thus I would like to bring your attention to this very effective therapeutic hand position to relieve the strain coughing has on the body.
The effect of this Mudra, hand position, is heating, warming up the chest and helping in expelling the congestion from the body, which it is trying to get rid off with the cough.
How to come into the position:
1. Interlace the fingers with the left little finger being at the bottom and the right hand thumb at the top
2. Extend the left thumb upwards
3. Stretch the right thumb and the right index finger enough that they touch at the tip of the fingers, embracing the left thumb
4. Hold the palms together tightly, in front of the chest.
Take the hand position for a few minutes when you are having a cough attack or when we are applying Mudras for therapeutic reasons the practice is done 3 times a day for a minimum of 2 minutes. Hold the hand position and concentrate on your breathing: slow, deep, relaxed belly breathing.
This Mudra was thaught to me by me dear teacher Indu Arora and can be found in her book: Mudra the Sacred Secret, which I highly recommend to anyone who would like to experience the benefits of Mudras (my library is always open to students to have a peak in the book):
A few of the benefits of this Mudra from the above book:
1. breaking the phlegm up and relief from coughs and colds
2. When temperatures are really cold outside this Mudra heats the body
3. Beneficial for people suffering from sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis or lung cancer
4. Activates digestive fire which boosts the metabolic rate of the body and helps burning the impurities
5. Beneficial for hypothyroidism
- Stop if you feel dizziness, nausea or uneasiness.
- Do not practice right after eating
- In conditions of acid reflux, heartburn observe the effects and only continue if it feels beneficial for you, otherwise stop
If you have not practised Mudras before, be open minded and give it a go, your hands are here to heal you.