Outlined in the Yoga Sutras written by Patanjali some 2000 years ago the 8 limbs of Yoga provide the basis of our practice. The name 'eight limbs' comes from the Sanskrit term 'Ashtanga' and refers to the 8 limbs, or aspects, of Yoga. The eight limbs are the following:
Photo credit: yogamsbaranam.com
1. Yamas - Restraint of negative behavior (see blog entry on Yamas)
2. Niyamas - Observance of positive behavior (see blog entry on Niyamas)
3. Asana - Yoga postures
4. Pranayama - Breathing techniques
5. Pratyhara - Mastering the 5 senses
6. Dharana - Concentration
7. Dhyana - Meditation
8. Samadhi - Enlightenment or Bliss
Following the eight fold path through limiting harm, cultivating serenity, moving enough, breathing deeply, choosing uplifting feelings, and focusing the mind, we are on the way to live a calm, meaningful life.
Stay tuned, as in future blog posts I will expand each limb in detail to the best of my knowledge.